<i18n dev> RFR: 8257733: Move module-specific data from make to respective module

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.java.net
Fri Dec 4 11:17:12 UTC 2020

On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 10:29:48 GMT, Magnus Ihse Bursie <ihse at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> A lot (but not all) of the data in make/data is tied to a specific module. For instance, the publicsuffixlist is used by java.base, and fontconfig by java.desktop. (A few directories, like mainmanifest, is *actually* used by make for the whole build.)
>>
>> These data files should move to the module they belong to. The are, after all, "source code" for that module that is "compiler" into resulting deliverables, for that module. (But the "source code" language is not Java or C, but typically a highly domain specific language or data format, and the "compilation" is, often, a specialized transformation.)
>>
>> This misplacement of the data directory is most visible at code review time. When such data is changed, most of the time build-dev (or the new build label) is involved, even though this has nothing to do with the build. While this is annoying, a worse problem is if the actual team that needs to review the patch (i.e., the team owning the module) is missed in the review.
>
> To facilitate review, here is a list on how the different directories under make/data has moved.
>
> **To java.base:**
> * blacklistedcertsconverter
> * cacerts
> * characterdata
> * charsetmapping
> * cldr
> * currency
> * lsrdata
> * publicsuffixlist
> * tzdata
> * unicodedata
>
> **To java.desktop:**
> * dtdbuilder
> * fontconfig
> * macosxicons
> * x11wrappergen
>
> **To jdk.compiler:**
> * symbols
>
> **To jdk.jdi:**
> * jdwp
>
> **Remaining in make:**
> * bundle
> * docs-resources
> * macosxsigning
> * mainmanifest

Are you proposing any text or guidelines to be added to JEP 201 as part of this?

I think the location of jdwp.spec and its location in the build tree may need to be looked at again. It was convenient to have it in the make tree, from which the protocol spec, and source code for the front end (module jdk.jdi) and a header file for the back end (module jdk.jdwp.agent) are created. Given that the JDWP protocol is standard (not JDK-specific) then there may be an argument to put it in src/java.se instead of a JDK-specific module.