<i18n dev> RFR: 8255086: Update the root locale display names [v2]

Naoto Sato naoto at openjdk.java.net
Thu Oct 22 23:23:10 UTC 2020

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 22:29:16 GMT, Joe Wang <joehw at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Marked as reviewed by bchristi (Reviewer).
>
> Hi Naoto,
>
> Do we need a test similar to ISO3166 where display names of Locale.ROOT and Locale.US are compared? I see LocaleEnhanceTest.java has references to Locale.ROOT and a few selected names were updated. But we don't seem to have a test like ISO3166 that does a straight-forward comparison.
>
> The code you used to generate the updated LocaleNames.properties (in the comment section), that seems to be valuable. I wonder if there's a better way to preserve it, as part of the manual tool, or maybe put it back into the repo as part of a test?

Hi Joe,

> Do we need a test similar to ISO3166 where display names of Locale.ROOT and Locale.US are compared? I see LocaleEnhanceTest.java has references to Locale.ROOT and a few selected names were updated. But we don't seem to have a test like ISO3166 that does a straight-forward comparison.

test/jdk/sun/text/resources/LocaleData validates all the changes with this changeset (added lines at the end), by checking the names in the resource bundle.

> The code you used to generate the updated LocaleNames.properties (in the comment section), that seems to be valuable. I wonder if there's a better way to preserve it, as part of the manual tool, or maybe put it back into the repo as part of a test?

Yeah, but I cannot think of a better location to preserve it. The reason is that it cannot be used as a test because CLDR's English names and COMPAT's root names can inherently be different. I just regard the code to be one-off to retrieve authentic English names for those language ids.

Naoto