<i18n dev> RFR: 8266459: Implement JEP 411: Deprecate the Security Manager for Removal [v3]

Phil Race prr at openjdk.java.net
Fri May 21 18:03:01 UTC 2021

On Thu, 20 May 2021 07:06:00 GMT, Alan Bateman <alanb at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> The JEP isn't PTT for 17 so there's plenty of time isn't there ?
>
> There are 827 files in this patch. Phil is right that adding SW at the class level is introducing technical debt but if addressing that requires refactoring and re-testing of AWT or font code then it would be better to have someone from that area working on. Is there any reason why this can't be going on now on awt-dev/2d-dev and integrated immediately after JEP 411? I don't think we should put Max through the wringer here as there are too many areas to cover.

Are you suggesting that the patch doesn't need testing as it is ? It should be the same either way.
It is very straight forward to run the automated tests across all platforms these days.
I get the impression that no one is guaranteeing to do this straight after integration.
It sounds like it is up for deferral if time runs out.

The amount of follow-on work that I am hearing about here, and may be for tests, does not  make it sound
like this JEP is nearly as done as first presented.

If there was some expectation that groups responsible for an area would get involved with this
issue which I am assured was already known about, then why was it not raised before and made
part of the plan ?