<i18n dev> RFR: 8263561: Re-examine uses of LinkedList

liach github.com+7806504+liach at openjdk.java.net
Mon May 24 12:11:38 UTC 2021

On Mon, 24 May 2021 10:13:55 GMT, Сергей Цыпанов <github.com+10835776+stsypanov at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> But don't people access these internal code at their own risk, as jdk may change these code at any time without notice?
>
> True, I just wonder whether it's OK to change internals when we know for sure that this breaks 3rd party code

I think so. There are always unexpected ways the jdk may break and third-party libraries would need a different workaround for a new java version. For instance, in Apache log4j, its library has a special guard against the broken implementation of Reflection getCallerClass during java 7. The libraries can just handle these in their version-specific components.

Especially given the fact that the code linked above already has version-specific handling (8 vs 9), so it won't hurt much for them to add another piece of logic to handle jdk 17+ in case this optimization is merged.