RFR: JDK-8244093 Move all IDE support into coherent structure in make directory

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Wed Apr 29 10:36:12 UTC 2020

The IDE support in OpenJDK unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired.
There have been a garden variety of attempt to support a specific IDE
for a specific part of the code base, cluttered all over the code base.

This patch is a first attempt go get one ring, eh..., structure, to rule
them all.

I have moved all IDE project creators into the following structure:

make/ide/<ide>/<part of the code>

where <part of the code> is one of currently "hotspot", "langtools" or
"jdk", and <ide> is one of "vscode", "idea", "netbeans" or "vistualstudio".

This will not magically improve IDE support, but will at least make it
clearer what we have and what we are missing.

Ownership of the IDE support is notoriously vague. I've cc:ed a bunch of
people who has shown interest and/or submitted fixes to some of the IDE
projects according to the hg history. I'd appreciate it if anyone who is
interested in a particular case for IDE support can verify that it still
works. I've tried my best to make sure all targets can run without
errors, but I cannot verify that the IDE environment themselves are correct.

If you know about an IDE project that is no longer relevant, and should
be removed instead of shuffled around, please let me know!

WebRev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ihse/JDK-8244093-move-ide-support/webrev.01

/Magnus