RFR: JDK-8244093 Move all IDE support into coherent structure in make directory

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Wed Apr 29 11:36:00 UTC 2020

On 29/04/2020 11:57, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
> So who/what is using the ant build? I thought it was just the IDEA
> project that generated ant targets. Is it run explicitly using ant by
> langtool developers? I know for sure it's not used when we build the
> product in our CI.

As Jan mentioned, the main purpose of the langtools Ant build is to get
very very fast incremental recompilation. Which happens to be very
useful when working in an IDE environment, but one can also use it (and
I've seen people doing that) just from the command line. You can run
most (all?) of langtools tests by just doing a private langtools build,
so langtools developers sometimes go down that path.

Now, to be fair, this was much more common in the non-consolidated world
than it is in the new world, but, as Jan mentioned, Make is currently
not useful as a replacement for the private langtools build because it
has to go through the interim step and all that - and doing that, even
in the face of one line change in one file was taking approx 15s
recompilation time back when I did the test. So the private build still
has a purpose.

Maurizio