Faster incremental OpenJDK compilation

Jan Lahoda jan.lahoda at oracle.com
Wed May 6 16:49:28 UTC 2020

Hi Jon,

Good question. I was first experimenting with hashing Elements, as we do
currently for the module API hashes, but it was too slow to enter the
sources (although it is not completely impossible). So I did a new
hashing based on the AST - basically, it is a TreeScanner sending Tree
kinds, names and sub-trees into a MessageDigest. It ignores things like
method bodies, class initializers, and private class members. Does not
currently skip imports, although that may be seen as too conservative.
But tweaks to the AST hashing are surely still needed, so we can tweak
the exact meaning of a "significant change".

Jan