Proposal: Drop Stripped Implementations from Java SE 8

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Fri Feb 7 03:39:11 PST 2014

In order to preserve compatibility and guard against fragmentation,
the Stripped Implementations feature of Java SE 8 [1] requires some
nontrivial changes to the TCK license.

I've been working with Oracle's legal department on these revisions
for some time now.  We have an initial draft but at this point,
unfortunately, I don't think there is sufficient time for members of
this Expert Group, members of the JCP Executive Committee, and other
interested parties to review and comment on these changes.

I therefore propose to drop the Stripped Implementations feature from
Java SE 8.  This will only require changes to the Specification and
to the TCK rules -- no change to the RI, or to actual TCK tests, is
needed.

I remain convinced that Stripped Implementations are important to the
future of the Platform.  Once Java SE 8 is out the door I'll look into
how we might add this feature to the Platform in a release prior to
Java SE 9.

If you have any comments on this proposal, please let me know no later
than 17:00 UTC next Tuesday, 11 February.

Thanks,
- Mark

[1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mr/se/8/java-se-8-fr-spec-01/#s9