Certification of Preview Features

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 11:08:28 UTC 2019

On 3/19/19 10:48 AM, Volker Simonis wrote:
> The other thing is that already now it is quite complex to do a
> "compliant certification". And because nobody is allowed to share his
> certification results, it is impossible to judge if somebody who
> claims he has certified Java SE, really did a "compliant
> certification". We already have too many knobs and settings which have
> to be manually set in the correct way anyway. The new settings and
> instructions for the Preview features (as shown in the picture)
> further complicate certifications.

Well, yes, true. We already know that the TCK runs on the honour
system, and a strict mathematical interpretation of correctness isn't
possible.  The point is that a Java implementation must pass the TCK
in all modes: it is up to an implementer to run the tests as much as
necessary to establish that beyond reasonable doubt.

We cannot test all possibilities: it isn't even possible even to test
exhaustively a 64*64-bit multiplication, we already know that.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer