From martinrb at google.com Mon Jul 22 10:45:20 2013 From: martinrb at google.com (Martin Buchholz) Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 10:45:20 -0700 Subject: anchors need to be updated when copied to index-all.html Message-ID: Hi javadoc team, This is a bug report. If javadoc contains something like this: *

This class compares primitive {@code double} then links like bitwise equal which is a broken link because it is missing the filename. (javadoc obviously has code to handle this because the directory was added, but what about the filename? oughttabe easy to fix) If multiple such links are defined in multiple files, you will have a name clash. Repro using jsr166 CVS: (rm -rf /tmp/t8 && mkdir -p /tmp/t8 && cd /tmp/t8 && cvs -d ': pserver:anonymous at gee.cs.oswego.edu/home/jsr166/jsr166' checkout jsr166 && cd jsr166/src/jsr166e && { ~/jdk/jdk8/bin/javadoc extra/AtomicDouble*.java; find -name '*.html' | xargs grep -w bitEquals ; }) ... Generating ./jsr166e/extra/AtomicDouble.html... ... Generating ./jsr166e/extra/AtomicDoubleArray.html... extra/AtomicDoubleArray.java:17: error: anchor already defined: bitEquals *

This class compares primitive {@code double} ... ./index-all.html: if the current value is bitwise equal ./index-all.html: if the current value is bitwise equal ./jsr166e/extra/AtomicDoubleArray.html:

This class compares primitive double ./jsr166e/extra/AtomicDouble.html:

This class compares primitive double -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/javadoc-dev/attachments/20130722/125613fc/attachment.html From jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com Mon Jul 22 11:54:15 2013 From: jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com (Jonathan Gibbons) Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:54:15 -0700 Subject: anchors need to be updated when copied to index-all.html In-Reply-To: References: Message-ID: <51ED7FD7.20404@oracle.com> Martin, Thanks for the report. Filed as 8021010. -- Jon On 07/22/2013 10:45 AM, Martin Buchholz wrote: > Hi javadoc team, > > This is a bug report. > If javadoc contains something like this: > *

This class compares primitive {@code double} > then links like generated javadoc. > However, when this text is copied to index-all.html by javadoc, I see > in the generated javadoc > bitwise equal > which is a broken link because it is missing the filename. > (javadoc obviously has code to handle this because the directory was > added, but what about the filename? oughttabe easy to fix) > If multiple such links are defined in multiple files, you will have a > name clash. > > Repro using jsr166 CVS: > > (rm -rf /tmp/t8 && mkdir -p /tmp/t8 && cd /tmp/t8 && cvs -d > ':pserver:anonymous at gee.cs.oswego.edu/home/jsr166/jsr166 > ' > checkout jsr166 && cd jsr166/src/jsr166e && { ~/jdk/jdk8/bin/javadoc > extra/AtomicDouble*.java; find -name '*.html' | xargs grep -w > bitEquals ; }) > ... > Generating ./jsr166e/extra/AtomicDouble.html... > ... > Generating ./jsr166e/extra/AtomicDoubleArray.html... > extra/AtomicDoubleArray.java:17: error: anchor already defined: bitEquals > *

This class compares primitive {@code double} > ... > ./index-all.html: if the current value is href="./jsr166e/extra/#bitEquals">bitwise equal > ./index-all.html: if the current value is href="./jsr166e/extra/#bitEquals">bitwise equal > ./jsr166e/extra/AtomicDoubleArray.html:

This class > compares primitive double > ./jsr166e/extra/AtomicDouble.html:

This class > compares primitive double > -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/javadoc-dev/attachments/20130722/6fada6db/attachment.html From mike.duigou at oracle.com Mon Jul 22 16:14:38 2013 From: mike.duigou at oracle.com (Mike Duigou) Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:14:38 -0700 Subject: Sizing of

 and {@code with current jdk8 css

I have been working on javadoc for the JDK 8 lambda streams feature and ran across some interesting quirks in the current default javadoc css.

We have been using the construction

{@code
}
for block examples. We add the {@code} to the normal
 block to avoid having to use html entities within the sample to escape the "&" and "<" characters. This makes the examples easier to read in the original source file.

The formatting of a
 block and a
{@code block is slightly different as a result relative sizing and nesting.

The
 tag sets the font-size to 1.3em (stylesheet.css, line 31)

The  tag (emitted by {@code}) sets the font-size to 1.2em (stylesheet.css, line 55)

When nested the effective size is default * body (76%) * 1.3 (pre) * 1.2 (code).

It would be nice if {@code} nested inside
 didn't increase the size. Using relative sizes is generally going to be weird whenever nesting occurs especially if it can occur in more than one order.

Could
 and  be made to use the same size?

Might it be better to use "
{@literal ... " than "
{@code ..." as {@literal doesn't add any styles?

Out of curiosity:

- Why is the default body size 76% of the default text size? The 100% size is supposed the user's comfortable reading size. Other than for "fine print" why would we want to force a size smaller than that?
- An explicit font selection is made for body copy but none is made for code/pre text. Why not? Choosing a code font would allow better matching of the size of the body copy and mono space text. It would appear that for Arial/Courier that a 1.05em ratio is somewhat better than the 1.2em currently used.

Thanks,

Mike

From sven.reimers at gmail.com  Tue Jul 23 05:00:18 2013
From: sven.reimers at gmail.com (Sven Reimers)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 14:00:18 +0200
Subject: Possible inconsistency with auto generated javadoc on overridden
	elements
Hi,

since I got no response so far  (stuck in moderator queue) this is a retry
to get this through to the list.

I would assume that following the rules from

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javadoc
.html#inheritingcomments

the javadoc output of

public interface Test {

    void method();

    public abstract class AbstractEmptyTest implements Test {}

    public abstract class DefiningEmptyTest implements Test {
        @Override abstract public void method();
    }

    public class DirectTest implements Test {
        @Override public void method() {}
    }

    public class DefaultWithDefiningTest extends DefiningEmptyTest {
        @Override public void method() {}
    }

    public class DefaultWithEmptyTest extends AbstractEmptyTest {
        @Override public void method() {}
    }
}

should show at least a specified by link in the javadoc for method () on
all non abstract classes?

It seems to me that having an abstract class inbetween the concrete class
with the implementing method and the original interface, somehow the
specified by is not resolved.

Any comments? Shall I file a bug? Did I misread the spec?

Thanks

-Sven

P.S. Hope this makes it through this time.
--
Sven Reimers

* Senior Expert Software Architect
* NetBeans Dream Team Member: http://dreamteam.netbeans.org
* Community Leader  NetBeans: http://community.java.net/netbeans
                              Desktop Java:
http://community.java.net/javadesktop
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009

From: martinrb at google.com (Martin Buchholz)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:50:09 -0700
Subject: Sizing of
 and {@code with current jdk8 css
You're not the only one annoyed by the giant sample code font.  I agree
with you that the "regular" text should be regular text size, and the
sample text not too much different - that's why we have different fonts!
 CSS owners, please fix!

On 07/24/2013 05:50 PM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> You're not the only one annoyed by the giant sample code font.  I
> agree with you that the "regular" text should be regular text size,
> and the sample text not too much different - that's why we have
> different fonts!  CSS owners, please fix!
>

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:14 PM, Mike Duigou  > wrote:
>
>     I have been working on javadoc for the JDK 8 lambda streams
>     feature and ran across some interesting quirks in the current
>     default javadoc css.
>
>     We have been using the construction

{@code
>     }
> > for block examples. We add the {@code} to the normal
 block
>     to avoid having to use html entities within the sample to escape
>     the "&" and "<" characters. This makes the examples easier to read
>     in the original source file.
>
>     The formatting of a
 block and a
{@code block is
>     slightly different as a result relative sizing and nesting.
>
>     The
 tag sets the font-size to 1.3em (stylesheet.css, line 31)

>     The  tag (emitted by {@code}) sets the font-size to 1.2em
>     (stylesheet.css, line 55)
>
>     When nested the effective size is default * body (76%) * 1.3 (pre)
>     * 1.2 (code).
>
>     It would be nice if {@code} nested inside
 didn't increase
>     the size. Using relative sizes is generally going to be weird
>     whenever nesting occurs especially if it can occur in more than
>     one order.
>
>     Could
 and  be made to use the same size?

>     Might it be better to use "
{@literal ... " than "
{@code
>     ..." as {@literal doesn't add any styles?
>
>     Out of curiosity:
>
>     - Why is the default body size 76% of the default text size? The
>     100% size is supposed the user's comfortable reading size. Other
>     than for "fine print" why would we want to force a size smaller
>     than that?
>     - An explicit font selection is made for body copy but none is
>     made for code/pre text. Why not? Choosing a code font would allow
>     better matching of the size of the body copy and mono space text.
>     It would appear that for Arial/Courier that a 1.05em ratio is
>     somewhat better than the 1.2em currently used.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Mike

Issue 8021313, should be available on bugs.sun.com soon.

-- Jon