Followup; was Re: RFR [15] 8242230: Whitespace typos, relaxed javadoc, formatting

Pavel Rappo pavel.rappo at oracle.com
Wed Apr 8 13:49:11 UTC 2020

Certainly, Jon.

Doc comments in source code and documentation produced from them look
differently. When writing doc comments, authors have some model in their heads
of how these comments will be processed by the documentation generator and what
the result might look like. If that model is inaccurate, there might be problems.

One of such problems is whitespace and indentation. Constructs that should be
contiguous become separated because authors might've had a wrong concept on how
the formatting they apply in source maps to that of the resulting documentation.

Typically, multiple consecutive whitespace characters are collapsed into a
single whitespace character and a newline character is translated into a single
horizontal whitespace. I'm not sure if that should be obvious or specified, but
I often see the results of not paying enough attention to this: a punctuation
mark that starts a new line, a compound hyphenated word having a newline
character after a hyphen, or a {@code} tag whose contents span multiple lines.

-Pavel