RFR: JDK-8237803 Reorganize impl of tool options

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Fri Jan 24 17:29:57 UTC 2020

On 1/24/20 9:11 AM, Pavel Rappo wrote:
> Hm... I mean that the ToolOption type uses javac types (e.g. com.sun.tools.javac.main.Option.OptionKind) in its methods signatures, and that it also throws javac exceptions (e.g. com.sun.tools.javac.main.Option.InvalidValueException).
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Not entirely wrong.

> It's as if javadoc borrows something that it doesn't have. In a perfect world this would suggest that there should be a common "module" dealing with the CLI options on which both tools would depend.

javadoc doesn't "borrow" it, it is almost compelled to use it, by virtue
of delegating to the Option objects.

That being said, in this rewrite, there are a couple of methods
(processCompilerOption) where we could catch/wrap/convert the javac
exceptions and turn them into javadoc-only exceptions, but I'd have to
think whether it's worth it.

As for a common module,

1. Early drafts of Project Jigsaw had much finer grain modules, but we
backed off to the larger modules you see today. If we had smaller
modules, my first split would be to separate the tool part of javadoc
from the doclet part of javadoc.

2. There's ongoing chatter about a module for option decoding. We
already have JOptSimple somewhere, and recently Brian G was chatting
about another library that he found and liked.  My general opinion is
that some common shared library would be good for new code, but would be
hard to introduce into existing tools. For better or worse, javac has a
mix of styles that has accreted over the years ...
     -multiwordname, --multi-word-name,  -Aname=value, -name:value,
--name value, --name=value, -name/p:value, -name/a:value
     last-one-wins, values-accumulate, etc

There's also subtle differences:

  * javac keeps decoding options after --help, --version etc, and prints
    out info when all is done
  * javadoc handles --help, --version immediately and exits (I believe
    this is more like the launcher behavior.)

Changing all this (especially javac!) is more than I wanted to do in
this changeset!

-- Jon