Current specdiffs for JDBC 4.2

Douglas Surber douglas.surber at oracle.com
Thu Dec 20 15:01:47 PST 2012

The name JDBCTypes doesn't work for me. First it is a plural noun.
Generally classes are singular nouns unless the class specifically
represents a group of things such as Properties. We do have a class
Types, but it is just a group of static final ints. Second the
elements are not types that "belong" to JDBC somehow. They are the
ANSI SQL types. ANSIType would be better.

SQLType is the interface that spans all SQL types, ANSI and non-ANSI.
ANSITypes would be the SQL types that are specified by the ANSI
standard. If a vendor such as Oracle adds some additional types those
would be listed in an enum named OracleType that implements SQLType.
Further because the standard has java.sql.Types, Oracle has already
added oracle.jdbc.OracleTypes. If the standard adds JDBCTypes, Oracle
cannot use the parallel name since it is already used for another
purpose.

Douglas