SPI vs Third party dependency

Douglas Surber douglas.surber at oracle.com
Tue Oct 17 18:29:49 UTC 2017

It is not the lack of implementations of Flow.X that is the problem. It is the lack of a support library that manipulates streams.

If you look at the example code in the sketch David Karnok referenced in the Example of a Flow-based JDBC API thread you will see that the code makes extensive use of a reactive stream library. Writing the same example using the same sketch API but without a reactive stream library is impractical. There is (currently) no reactive stream library in Java SE so it would be impractical to use the sketch API in Java SE. Doing so would require some non standard reactive stream library. This fails to meet one of the goals of this project which is integration with Java SE, not integration with Java SE plus some random other library.

Douglas