SPI vs Third party dependency

Viktor Klang v at lightbend.com
Wed Oct 25 09:39:51 UTC 2017

Hi Douglas!

Answers inline.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Douglas Surber <douglas.surber at oracle.com>
wrote:

> It is not the lack of implementations of Flow.X that is the problem. It is
> the lack of a support library that manipulates streams.

Fortunately, in this case, there's nothing which prevents the JDK to
incorporate more support for that in the existing j.u.stream package.

> If you look at the example code in the sketch David Karnok referenced in
> the Example of a Flow-based JDBC API thread you will see that the code
> makes extensive use of a reactive stream library. Writing the same example
> using the same sketch API but without a reactive stream library is
> impractical. There is (currently) no reactive stream library in Java SE so
> it would be impractical to use the sketch API in Java SE. Doing so would
> require some non standard reactive stream library. This fails to meet one
> of the goals of this project which is integration with Java SE, not
> integration with Java SE plus some random other library.

While I sympathize with the argument, the point of Flow/RS is
*interoperability*. There's already ongoing work to add Flow ot other parts
of Java, and given that the more things support it, the network effect is
exponential.

I assume that the goal of this effort is not to replace Hibernate—i.e. do I
need to be able to map objects to the database, do lazy-loading etc[A]?

To me, there are a couple of orthogonal requirements:

1. Create an SPI which makes it possible to implement RDBMs access in a
standardized way which does not necessitate blocking threads—because that
severely impacts scalability.
    * This is where current JDBC has a ton of issues.
    * This is where Flow/RS/CompletionStage can really help since it
provides a standardized way to integrate with the desired properties.

2. Create an RDBMS API for library developers to build higher-level
constructs/integrations which does not block any user threads—because that
severely impacts scalability, and introduces the risk of
deadlocks/starvation.
    * This where Flow/RS/CompletionStage can be used to integrate with the
underlying standard SPI—adding any transformation/integration without
breaking the underlying properties or compromising the ability to not block
user threads in the above layer.

3. Create an application developer SQL API to interact with an RDBMS in a
scalable way—allowing for many concurrent users/requests.
     * This is where JPA/Hibernate/every ORM ever built lives. Replacing
this is going to be a huge effort.

IMO: If 1 and 2 is achieved then support in 3 from current solutions there
is just a matter of time[B].

A: Disclaimer: I might have misunderstood the following, but: The purpose
of JDBC is to provide an integration layer—not to provide the best possible
application developer API for dealing with RDBMS:es—I hope not given that
it has practically not evolved since it was created—and practically no
developer deals with raw JDBC.

B: I could be wrong, but I'm willing to make a bet on it.

--
Cheers,
√

——————