Example of a Flow-based JDBC API

Viktor Klang v at lightbend.com
Sun Oct 29 13:17:24 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 1:35 AM, Douglas Surber <douglas.surber at oracle.com>
wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2017, at 4:05 PM, Viktor Klang <v at lightbend.com> wrote:
>
> Answers in line
>
> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Douglas Surber <douglas.surber at oracle.com
> > wrote:
>

>> No implementations are required, only the API being included in Java 19.x.
>>

> Isn't there a real risk that it will be hard to vet the implementability
> without at the very least one implementation?
>

> Oracle has an internal prototype implementation for the Oracle Database
> that is asynchronous all the way down so we are confident that this is
> implementable. This prototype has two purposes: 1) demonstrate that the API
> is implementable, 2) actually run sample code to test the usability of the
> API. Management is currently unwilling to release this prototype for public
> use, but that may change.

I would suggest that having a prototype implementation as a part of the
ADBA is highly desirable—otherwise there's a real risk that A) it is not
possible to verify whether proposals will impact implementability
positively or negatively. Having a hidden codebase makes for little
conversation. Also, having that codebase makes it possible for end-to-end
testing on a build and CI-basis, which means shorter feedback loops and
shorter time from idea to PoC.

--
Cheers,
√