Draft JEP: Time-Based Release Versioning

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Fri Dec 1 17:32:48 UTC 2017

The document doesn't state what happens to the --release flag in
javac, which seems a linked issue worthy of inclusion.

I and others (based on feedback I've seen) think this new flag is
great, but it only retains its usefulness if it supports older
versions over a (very) long period of time. I'm currently setting up
the Joda-* projects to use it, but some have Java 6 as a baseline. Any
move to increase the minimum from Java 6 would thus be a problem for
me.

At a minimum, I believe that Java 6 should remain the baseline of the
feature until Java 12 (ie. support for 6 removed in the release after
the LTS v11).

Ideally however, I'd prefer Java 6 support is removed in Java 18
(assuming 17 is an LTS). The feature really is that useful.

thanks
Stephen