RFR: JDK-8200083: Bump bootjdk used for JDK 11 at Oracle to JDK 10

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Thu Apr 5 02:01:47 UTC 2018

On 5/04/2018 11:56 AM, Martin Buchholz wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 5:03 PM, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com
> <mailto:david.holmes at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/04/2018 7:00 AM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
>

>     I have to agree. There can't be two bootJDK versions.
>

> I have to disagree.  You could design openjdk to be buildable by any set
> of boot JDKs.
> It's only the fact that javac happens to be written in java that creates
> a boot jdk requirement at all.

The point is you can't require two different bootJDK versions. As Jon
said as soon as someone relies on a JDK 10 feature** you can no longer
use a JDK 9 boot JDK.

** This isn't quite as broad as it sounds. Only critical bootstrapping
parts of the build are limited to the capabilities of the bootJDK. The
other parts will be built with the interim javac.

David