RFR: JDK-8200083: Bump bootjdk used for JDK 11 at Oracle to JDK 10

Erik Joelsson erik.joelsson at oracle.com
Thu Apr 5 18:11:31 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-04 18:56, Martin Buchholz wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 5:03 PM, David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com
> <mailto:david.holmes at oracle.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/04/2018 7:00 AM, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
>

>     I have to agree. There can't be two bootJDK versions.
>

> I have to disagree.  You could design openjdk to be buildable by any
> set of boot JDKs.
> It's only the fact that javac happens to be written in java that
> creates a boot jdk requirement at all.
It could, but the whole point we are trying to get across is that it
adds a pretty large maintenance burden. As has been said before in this
discussion, it hampers development. Javac is no small part of OpenJDK
and as Alan pointed out, there are other easily forgettable details that
get more complicated. To truly support it would require frequent
verification that all bootjdk versions work and produce the same thing.
We are in no need of more build configurations to keep track of. Are you
up for taking on that work?

/Erik