Supported platforms

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Tue Apr 10 01:16:32 UTC 2018

On 10/04/2018 2:40 AM, Mario Torre wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 6:12 PM, Simon Nash <simon at cjnash.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for this.  I think I should clarify what I mean by a supported
>> platform.  This would be a platform for which bugs affecting the ability
>> to build a working OpenJDK binary for that platform would be considered
>> valid by the OpenJDK community and a user-submitted patch to fix such a
>> bug would be considered for integration into the OpenJDK codebase.
>
> Being a Community project, I would say everything that is relevant for
> users is relevant for the project.
>
> Now, "everything" doesn't mean "absolutely" everything of course ;)
> but within reasonable limits "almost" everything is a good bet. If you
> plan in adding support for new architectures you will have better luck
> with a Porting sponsored projects, if you want to fix some bugs in
> some weird architecture that is already existing, or help building
> with some Linux distribution not currently covered for some reason,
> I'm sure that will be accepted quickly too, in all cases some
> discussion would be good to have before start proposing patches.

We are in a situation where previously "supported" platforms (by Oracle)
are no longer supported as, AFAIK, no one has stepped up to take
ownership of said platforms - which is a requirement for getting a new
port accepted into mainline. Without such ownership the code may not
only bit-rot, it may in time be stripped out completely. Any interested
parties would then need to look at (re)forming a port project for that
platform to keep it going in OpenJDK (or of course they are free to take
it elsewhere).

Cheers,
David