[zero] zero VM fails to build on arm64 and ppc64el

Aleksey Shipilev shade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 4 14:24:53 UTC 2018

On 12/4/18 2:54 PM, Matthias Klose wrote:
>> But why build aarch64-zero and ppc64el-zero to begin with? Those platforms are fully supported by
>> Red Hat's AArch64 port and SAP's PPC64 port, and are cleanly buildable:
>>   https://builds.shipilev.net/openjdk-jdk/
>>
>> This must be why it went unnoticed: Zero is usually built for platforms without full-fledged ports.
>
> usually the hotspot platforms are faster to build, and before starting to debug
> zero-only platforms it might be easier to build and look at hotspot platforms
> where zero still builds.  As I said, I didn't build zero-only platforms yet.

Sorry, I am confused, what is "hotspot platforms"? You mean jvm-variant=server?  My point is, I
don't think there are lots of people who care (read: maintain) about Zero variant for platforms that
are supported by their corresponding ports.

Anyhow, aarch64-zero and ppc64le-zero seem to build with this fix:

-Aleksey

P.S. I think it also falls victim to resurfaced cross-compilation issue:

...but that is workaroundable with specifying the --with-build-jdk.