Submit repo status

Aleksey Shipilev shade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 13:05:34 UTC 2018

On 12/10/18 9:49 AM, Volker Simonis wrote:
> The problem you'll run into when you create new clones from time to
> time is that a single push from somebody who didn't realize that you
> have created a new clone (and didn't recreate its local version of
> submit) can unintentionally push ALL the old branches from his local
> clone when he only wants to push his single, new
>  branch. I actually wonder that this hasn't happened already ...

+1.

I was staring blankly at my current "hg out" for jdk-submit trying to understand why does it want to
push thousands of changesets out. Only to realize something is "wrong" with the remote repository.
Then I discovered this thread. I could have easily not check it and push.

I have three suggestions for the future:
  a) Please say "jdk-submit is reset, please re-clone" as the message synopsis, not the innocuous
"Submit repo status" -- this important message was easy to miss;
  b) Test if pushing old changesets accidentally is caught by some checker. I wonder if current
single-branch checkers would still allow to push all old changesets;
  c) Support clonebundles [1]! It took me five (!) re-tries to clone new jdk-submit for my workspace
cache [2]. It would be very unfortunate to go through this exercise regularly.

Thanks,
-Aleksey

[2] https://builds.shipilev.net/workspaces/