Apple Notarization

Jessica Leigh jessica at geneious.com
Tue Dec 18 20:49:53 UTC 2018

I'm investigating the process of getting an application "notarized" for Mac
OS. This is a process that Apple has introduced with Mac OS 10.14 Mojave,
and they've indicated that it will be required for developer-signed
applications in the near future. The process differs from code signing
(applications are uploaded to Apple, where they're scanned and either
notarized or rejected). More information is available from Apple:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution

Our software is bundled with Java 11, and my attempts to find information
on notarizing Java applications led me to some Stack Overflow questions
that suggest there may be problems with JAR files, e.g.,
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53439639/notarize-java-app-for-distribution-on-mac-app-store
, where dynamic libraries inside JARs aren't signed, which causes
notarization to fail.

Has any thought been put into preparing/signing Java for the purpose of
notarization? It seems like Java might not be ready for this yet.

*Dr. Jessica Leigh*Software Developer
GENEIOUS