hg clone is unbelievably slow

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Tue Feb 6 15:04:10 UTC 2018

There is no need to re-invent the wheel :)

Mercurial (hg) has had support for clonebundles for a some time by now,
see [0] for details. If the servers where configured to use clonebundles
then users can continue to just use `hg clone` but get the performance
of downloading compressed bundles. clonebundles can be stored on various
CDN servers, then `hg clone` will download the closest bundle, unpack it
and eventually do `hg pull --update` to get the latest commits (that
might not be present in the bundle).

For more information about clonebundles, just run
`hg help -e clonebundles`.

Thanks,
Erik

[0]: https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/ClonebundlesExtension