The generated-configure.sh script is dead, long live autoconf!

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Thu Feb 8 12:51:25 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-07 16:04, Volker Simonis wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 2:52 PM, Thomas Stüfe <thomas.stuefe at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Magnus,
>>
>> short question, is it possible to overwrite the location of autoconf with a
>> configure setting or similar? Similar to "toolchain-path"?
>>
> I doubt because you need autoconf in order to generate the actual
> configure script (generated-configure.sh) which evaluates the
> arguments.

Exactly. :) That wouldn't make sense.

> We would either need special arguments for the initial configure
> script or pass it through the environment which I think is both not
> worth it if we could just as well put autoconf in the regular path.
What you *can* do is to use the AUTOCONF environment variable. If it's
too much bother to put it in the environment, you can just prefix your
calls to configure, or create a script that contains this. I'll repost
my own "configure" script that I have in ~/bin (which is included in my
PATH). I created this since it allows me to write "configure --<tab>" to
get tab completion from bash, but you can also hijack it to setup a
special AUTOCONF variable.

---
#!/bin/bash
if [ $(pwd) = $(cd $(dirname $0); pwd) ] ; then
   echo >&2 "Abort: Trying to call configure helper recursively"
   exit 1
fi

bash $PWD/configure "$@"
--