Draft JEP: Launch Single-File Source-Code Programs

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Tue Feb 13 17:56:45 UTC 2018

On 2/13/18 6:48 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 13/02/18 13:24, David Lloyd wrote:
>> I think the shell takes care of that bit...
> It does, but we do need to say what gets passed.  jvm arguments,
> in particular, would be very useful.

The problem here is that it seems that shells are inconsistent with how
they handle arguments on the first line. This is specifically called out
as a portability problem in [1].

That makes it difficult for the main Java launcher to handle these
arguments. It would be wrong to make a general change to the Java
launcher to reparse arguments containing spaces as individual options.

-- Jon

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix)