Draft JEP: To use UTF-8 as the default charset for the Java virtual machine.

Xueming Shen xueming.shen at oracle.com
Wed Feb 21 16:42:40 UTC 2018

Hi Volker,

Yes, the handing of sun.jnu.encoding will not be changed. It will remain as
a read-only/informative system property.

sun.jnu.encoding is really an implementation details (as well as
file.encoding,
though in this JEP file.encoding might be used to provide a mechanism to
fallback
to the current/old/existing behavior, so might become a public/official
interface/
system property). From API perspective the Charset.defaultCharset() is
the only
place to obtain the "Java virtual machine's default charset".

As Alan said in previous comment, clarifications will be included in the
final
version based on feedback/suggestion

-Sherman