JEP proposed to target JDK 11: 318: Epsilon: An Arbitrarily Low-Overhead Garbage Collector

Aleksey Shipilev shade at redhat.com
Wed Jan 17 09:43:07 UTC 2018

On 01/17/2018 12:50 AM, charlie hunt wrote:
> Seems with what is being proposed is essentially a “no GC” type of ability … a command line
> option of -XX:+NoGC or -XX:+UseNoGC would probably be better understood as to what it generally
> does, and the consequence of exhausting Java heap space since there is “no GC”.

How very unpoetical :) Epsilon has the origin story for its name, see the JEP. Most people,
including prospective users, know this feature under "Epsilon" and some expressed the love for the
name. So, as long as there is no overwhelming amount of strong opinions against it, I'd keep the
name as is.

-Aleksey