JDK submit repo

Weijun Wang weijun.wang at oracle.com
Wed Jan 24 14:29:03 UTC 2018

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 10:18 PM, dalibor topic <dalibor.topic at oracle.com> wrote:
>

> On 24.01.2018 11:25, David Holmes wrote:
>> The way I see this working is as follows:
>> - contributor works on a fix and gets it working locally on whatever systems they have available to them
>> - contributor then wants to test further and so submits to submit repo
>> - contributor gets response email:
>> a) all good: contributor sends RFR to xxx-dev
>> b) not all good: contributor sends prelim-RFR to xxx-dev and includes failure info, and waits for help on the failures
>
> Ultimately, whatever way to find the right Oracle engineer is documented is fine with me.
>
> It just needs to be documented, and documented in a way that's easy and obvious to follow for someone who doesn't have the time to learn the lore and history of OpenJDK organization into core-libs-dev, serviceability-dev and hotspot-dev, etc.
>
> This is an extremely confusing area for new comers.
>
> For example, I'll put myself in the shoes of someone sending in their first change to the system. Let it be some small HotSpot tweak, like fixing some compiler warning in zero.
>
> If the submission of my HotSpot change only fails running an nio jtreg test on OS X (assuming OS X is a supported configuration, of course), should I contact
>
> a) zero-dev (I tried to patch zero)
> b) hotspot-dev (which is part of hotspot)

Either of above. If you are fixing zero, mostly likely you have started discussing it on one of the lists above. If anyone else on those lists are interested in the fix, he/she will help you find a better list to talk about the failure.

This is a community of people helping each other, I don't think a guide will be precise enough to allow a newcomer to find out which list is better.

--Max