JDK submit repo

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Wed Jan 24 16:17:34 UTC 2018

2018/1/24 2:04:46 -0800, dalibor.topic at oracle.com:
> On 23.01.2018 21:33, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
>> If you push a branch whose name starts with "JDK-" into this repo
>> then it will automatically be built and tested on Oracle's internal
>> build system, and a summary of the results will be e-mailed back to
>> you.  This typically takes a couple of hours.  If one or more tests
>> fail then you can contact an Oracle engineer to get more information
>> about the failures.
>
> Since the wiki
>
> * doesn't say how to contact that engineer
> * doesn't say how to work with them
>
> that might be a hurdle too steep in some cases.
>
> As the only contact given on the wiki is ops at openjdk, I assume it will
> get more than its fair share of test failures to forward through email
> chains in search of that engineer. That would be unfortunate.

Yes.

> Instead, I would suggest explicitly advising Comitters with test
> failures to forward them to the jdk-dev mailing list in search of an
> Oracle engineer.

Please, no.  Asking jdk-dev should be the option of last resort.  If
you're working on a fix for something then you've hopefully already
discussed it on the appropriate list.  I agree that we should make it
easier for newcomers to figure out which list to go to, but spamming
jdk-dev is not the answer.

- Mark