JEP proposed to target JDK 11: 330: Launch Single-File Source-Code Programs

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Thu May 24 07:24:19 UTC 2018

On 24/05/18 01:41, Brian Goetz wrote:
>> Before we 'retrace' may I ask: was that meant to be 5% or 50%?
>
> I did mean 5%.  The small number was not intended to minimize Roman's
> concern, but to minimize the place of the shebang feature in this JEP
> itself.

Ah, ok, got it now. I agree this issue is small beer (not to say I would
be happy if 5% was omitted from my pint :-).

> OK, let me explain the sense of "retrace" here.
> . . .

Thank you for a clear and full exposition. Also thanks to Jon for his input.

> So, what can be done here?  We could:
>  - move forward with the feature, as is.
>  - clarify the distinction between "Java source file" and "script
> containing Java", and tweak accordingly, as Jon suggests.
>  - drop the JEP entirely.
>  - drop the shebang support and keep the rest.

I like Jon's suggestion but I am happy to leave others to make a more
informed decision than I believe I can offer.

> What does not seem like a reasonable choice is to turn the Java Language
> into a platform-dependent thing, for all the reasons Jon mentioned, and
> more.

I'm absolutely in agreement with that sentiment.

>> I am afraid that adopting pejorative terms like 'infecting' doesn't
>> really make your case stronger.
>
> I'm sorry if you were offended by my use of this term.  I take the Java
> Language very seriously, and defend its boundaries vigorously!
No offence was taken. I was merely concerned that this choice of words
was reducing rather than increasing the impact of your case. Your reply
has resolved that concern.

regards,

Andrew Dinn