JEP: 342: Limit Speculative Execution

White, Derek Derek.White at cavium.com
Tue Nov 20 21:42:43 UTC 2018

Hi Jesper,

[Sorry for the "timely" response.]

Although the mechanisms for managing and identifying an alternative JVM are not platform-specific, the mitigation strategy proposed (e.g. the specific gcc options) are x86-specific.

I suggest adding a note in the JEP that the specific mitigations proposed are x86 specific, and that other ports will need to identify what mitigations are appropriate (if any).

I'll start up a discussion in the aarch64 list on what we should do about limiting speculative execution, and we may link aarch64-specific enhancements to this JEP.  This needs to be looked at for both C++ options and JIT implementation on aarch64.

Thanks,

 - Derek