Tagging proposal for JDK GA releases

Hohensee, Paul hohensee at amazon.com
Wed Oct 3 15:25:18 UTC 2018

We at Amazon would find this useful.

Thanks,

Paul

On 10/3/18, 7:55 AM, "jdk-updates-dev on behalf of Seán Coffey" <jdk-updates-dev-bounces at openjdk.java.net on behalf of sean.coffey at oracle.com> wrote:

    I'd like to propose an enhancement to the JDK build-tagging
    convention to help users more easily identify JDK GA releases
    via Mercurial tag names.

    The concept is quite simple and lets people identify snapshots
    of GA releases in Mercurial history without having to know the
    build number of the GA release.

    For example, to obtain JDK 10.0.2 GA sources today, one issues the
    `hg update -r jdk-10.0.2+13` command. With the proposed
    enhancement, `hg update -r jdk-10.0.2-ga` could have been used.
    It's proposed that the new ga tag would be in addition to the regular
    GA build number tag. It would be added to the relevant repository
    once the GA milestone has been reached.

    This new convention would be used for future JDK releases and is
    tracked via JDK-8180946[1]. If the changes are adopted, I can
    look at retroactively adding labels for all feature JDK GA releases
    since JDK 7 to the JDK feature-release main-line repository.

    To accommodate the new tag format, some simple jcheck edits
    would be required. Test checks would also be added.

    Comments?

    regards,
    Sean.