RFR: 8061282: Migrate jmh-jdk-microbenchmarks into the JDK

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Thu Oct 18 21:03:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

as the final part of JEP 230: Microbenchmarks Suite, I propose migrating
all microbenchmarks from the codetools jmh-jdk-microbenchmarks project
into the JDK:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~redestad/8061282/jdk.00/

This is built on top of the patch for JDK-8061281, and makes the
entirety of this suite readily available to build, run and experiment
with from the main jdk repos.

While the future of the codetools jmh-jdk-microbenchmarks project is out
of scope for JEP 230, it has been suggested it could be kept alive as a
stabilization target and that stable microbenchmarks should be kept out
of the jdk. That discussion is partly out of scope here, but I believe
it makes sense to keep a copy in the JDK suite precisely because the
benchmark will be compiled with the platform javac, meaning a different
set of bugs, regressions and improvements will be discoverable.

Two micros, org.openjdk.bench.java.lang.invoke.Indify and
org.opendjk.bench.java.lang.reflect.GetAnnotation need special build
treatment and will need to be dealt with in a follow-up.

Thanks!

/Claes