TimeZone Updater Tool/Project, where would we put it?

Andrew Leonard andrew_m_leonard at uk.ibm.com
Mon Dec 30 14:51:12 UTC 2019

I also share the concern expressed by Alan, Sean,.. about the practice of
"patching" tzdb.dat directly, rather than through a supported JDK update
process. The issue of if something goes wrong, and also if the JDK/JRE is
already managed by an installer will it interfere with that process.. All
the IBM tool does is essentially find and update the tzdb.dat file. I'd
like to first explore the policy for integrating the latest IANA tzdata,
and then maybe depending on that discussion explore ways in which vendors
like AdoptOpenJDK can provide in a minimal risk way an interim tzdb.dat,
which 3rd parties like NewRelic for example can build into their
images...which is one of the most popular use cases nowadays.

Andrew Leonard
Java Runtimes Development
IBM Hursley
IBM United Kingdom Ltd