Java 12 / JDK 12: General Availability

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Tue Mar 19 16:55:06 UTC 2019

JDK 12, the reference implementation of Java 12, is now Generally
Available.  We’ve identified no P1 bugs since we promoted build 33 over
three weeks ago so that’s the official GA release, ready for production
use.

GPL-licensed OpenJDK builds from Oracle are available here:

  https://jdk.java.net/12

Builds from other implementors will no doubt be available soon.

This release includes eight features [3]:

  189: Shenandoah: A Low-Pause-Time Garbage Collector (Experimental)
  230: Microbenchmark Suite
  325: Switch Expressions (Preview)
  334: JVM Constants API
  340: One AArch64 Port, Not Two
  341: Default CDS Archives
  344: Abortable Mixed Collections for G1
  346: Promptly Return Unused Committed Memory from G1

along with, as usual, hundreds of smaller enhancements and thousands of
bug fixes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed JDK 12, whether by creating features
or enhancements, fixing bugs, or downloading and testing the early-access
builds.

Coming up next ... lucky 13!

- Mark

[1] https://mreinhold.org/blog/forward-faster