JEP proposed to target JDK 13: 350: Dynamic CDS Archives

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Wed May 1 19:51:51 UTC 2019

On 5/1/19 12:02 PM, Michael Bien wrote:
> Thank you very much for the detailed explanation Jiangli and Ioi.
>
> On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 6:53 PM Ioi Lam <ioi.lam at oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> The dynamic archive can also be shared across processes running on the
>> same host, as long as they are running the same program.
>>
>> So if you're running multiple copies of the same program, then using the
>> old method (single static archive) is roughly the same as the new method
>> (static archive + dynamic archive).
>>
>> If your environment runs different programs that share the same set of
>> libraries. e.g.,
>>
>>       2 processes running with "-cp:lib.jar:foo.jar FooApp"
>>       4 processes running with "-cp:lib.jar:bar.jar BarApp"
>>
>> to achieve best sharing, you can create a static archive (using a
>> classlist) for only the classes in lib.jar (and any other system classes
>> used by these apps). Then, create two different dynamic archives, one
>> for the "foo" app, and the other for the "bar" app.
>>
> Understood. My main confusion came from the fact that i thought that each
> FooApp process was supposed to create its own dynamic archive based on the
> last run of the program. But FooApp and BarApp should just have two
> different dynamic archives, not six (one for each process).
>
> Will -XX:ArchiveClassesAtExit=dynfoo.jsa skip archive creation if the file
> already exists? Or is this flag only intended for the initial setup run of
> a program?

Currently, the -XX:ArchiveClassesAtExit=dynfoo.jsa option works the same
way as in the old "static dump" where you would specify -Xshare:dump
-XX:SharedArchiveFile=xyz.jsa. If the file exists, it will be
overwritten. So in this usage model, there's a distinct "setup" phase
where you create the archive.

We are considering making the dynamic dumping more automatic in an
future RFE.

Thanks
- Ioi