New candidate JEP: 362: Deprecate the Solaris and SPARC Ports

Peter Firmstone peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au
Sat Sep 28 10:02:07 UTC 2019

Crazy idea, builds should be tested on as many architectures as possible
for debugging.  I hope this gets downvoted.

I've actually solved a lot of Java concurrency bugs using Solaris Sparc
I couldn't with other architectures.   That means without it, we would
still be trying to solve those bugs.

I don't know why Oracle doesn't release a developer workstation, with
affordable developer licensing, so we can continue using Solaris for
this purpose.   There are just so many tools on Solaris develpers can
utilise.

Oracle really should start up the OpenSolaris project again too.

Regards,

Peter.