New candidate JEP: 381: Remove the Solaris and SPARC Ports

Mikael Vidstedt mikael.vidstedt at oracle.com
Tue Apr 7 19:49:02 UTC 2020

> On Apr 7, 2020, at 1:45 AM, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 11:23 PM <mark.reinhold at oracle.com <mailto:mark.reinhold at oracle.com>> wrote:
> https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/381 <https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/381>
>
> I have no role in the OpenJDK community, so cannot formally offer feedback.

Still appreciated, formal or not!

> However, a comment: Under 'Risks and assumptions', it says
> "Removing support for Solaris or SPARC could affect other ports in the
> very unlikely case that they rely on Solaris or SPARC source code."
>
> It's not actually that unlikely - an illumos port is absolutely certain to rely on
> the existing Solaris code. (We would use essentially all the code, the port
> is largely a toolchain swap.)

Undertstood - external/downstream ports like the Illumos one are of course “implicitly” affected by a change like this. The specific statement in the Risks/assumptions section was only meant to reflect in-tree ports (in OpenJDK), I realize that wasn’t clear. I added “in-tree” to the JEP to hopefully make it more clear.

Cheers,
Mikael