Request for assistance: Verify and update mailing list filter rules for jdk/jdk in preparation for Skara transition

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Fri Aug 28 15:01:23 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-28 16:20, Erik Helin wrote:
> [...]
> dauntingly verbose - it was our hope that it would be reasonably
> straightforward for a subject matter expert to quickly delete a lot of
> the “noise”. Based on the change suggestions received so far, it would
> appear to not have been that unreasonable: the latest version has
> dropped over a hundred lines while still improving accuracy by a fair
> bit. Ideally there should probably only be a handful of rules for any
> given list, which is already true for most, but the rules for lists
> like “core-libs-dev” are certainly not there yet.
>
> We should also mention how the initial list was created - it was *not*
> crated manually by us :) Instead we parsed the RFR e-mails for
> thousands of commits pushed to the jdk/jdk repository. This allowed us
> to create a program that could see the files that were changed by a
> commit and the lists that that the RFR e-mail were sent to. We then
> manually curated the list, but realized that domain experts would make
> a better job of the curation (hence the "request for assitance" e-mail).
>
> We have also validated our approach by comparing the results of the
> rules engine for selecting mailing lists with the last 30 days of RFR
> e-mails for patches targeting the jdk/jdk repository. So far it seems
> like the rules engine perform equally or better than humans at
> selecting mailing lists, but it could also be that we are missing some
> nuances in RFR e-mails that look like they have forgotten to CC at
> least one mailing list.
>
> Still, if you are an experienced contributor, you may not want to have
> these suggestions added only to have to replace them manually with the
> correct lists. To help with that, we have adjusted the “git pr create”
> command-line tool to display the suggestions before the PR is created,
> and provide the option to override them. If you create a PR from the
> command-line you can now use the --cc flag:
>
>   $ git pr create --cc=hotspot-dev,build-dev
>
> Furthermore, the "git pr create" command will now ask the user to
> verify the mailing lists before creating the pull request:
>
>   $ git pr create
>   The following mailing lists will be CC:d for the "RFR" e-mail:
>   - build-dev at openjdk.java.net
>   - hotspot-dev at openjdk.java.net
>
>   Do you want to proceed with this mailing list selection? [Y/n]:
>
> A user can opt-in to always use the inferred mailing lists by speciyfing
> --cc=auto. This means that it is now *opt-in* to use the mailing lists
> inferred from the patch when creating a PR from the command-line.
>
> When creating a PR from the GitHub web UI, it’s also possible to
> override these suggestions by adding a “/cc” command at the end of the
> PR body. There is also a window of a few minutes to issue a command to
> edit the suggestions after they have been displayed, but before any
> email is sent to any list. The semantics of the “/cc” command have
> also been changed, to ensure that it always overrides the automatic
Erik,

I think this all sounds great!

While a lot of the developers know about the rules for cc:ing build-dev
for making changes, not everyone does. And from time to time, even the
most experienced developers forget to include build-dev. So I've been
waiting for something like this for a very long time...

With the latest changes you describe, I also think you have managed to
strike a good balance between ease-of-use and power user control.

I'm not sure the rules are really all the way yet, but I don't think
they have to be perfect for this to be helpful. Let's get this thing
started, and if we get suprises with omissions or too many included
lists, we can adjust the rules as we go. In fact, fixing problems with
the correspondence between code are and mailing lists will be sooo much
easier to do if all you need to do is to edit a single text file,
instead of re-educating a horde of stubborn-minded JDK developers! :-o

/Magnus