RFR: Updated section on Code Conventions.

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Thu Jul 9 23:51:33 UTC 2020

2020/7/2 10:47:52 -0700, jesper.wilhelmsson at oracle.com:
> I'll make an attempt at summarizing this discussion so far. There are
> a few issues that seems to be key to decide where a Style Guide can be
> located, all of them have pros and cons. The list below is not sorted
> in any way.

Thanks for putting this list together.  I think you’ve captured most of
the salient issues.  I agree with some but not all of your minor points,
but rather than discuss those here I’ll just mention one missing issue.

> 2) Small, controlled, set of editors

Here’s the missing issue: Who would this set of editors be?  As I wrote
earlier:

  Not only would we need an editor to spend time on this, and maintain
  it for the long haul, but it would inevitably require some of the
  limited time of at least some of our most experienced contributors.
  Is that the best use of their time?

I don’t know how to answer this question but I don’t see any qualified
contributors volunteering, and I certainly can’t take it on myself.

Without an answer to this question, all the others are moot.

- Mark