[External] : Re: Re: New candidate JEP: 408: Simple Web Server

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue Apr 6 10:52:14 UTC 2021

On 06/04/2021 11:25, Julia Boes wrote:
> :
> The new classes extend/implement/build upon the existing abstractions in
> jdk.httpserver, they have a clear API relationship and cannot be easily
> separated out. Indeed, separating them out would make things much more
> confusing, given they are a logical extension of the existing classes. Where
> would we cut ties exactly? Old vs. new API points would be a misleading
> distinction here and we would end up with a partial and incomplete package that
> cannot stand on its own feet.
>
> If the HTTP Server API were ever to be standardized (moved to the java.
> namespace), it should be considered as a whole - with all the additional
> considerations this would bring. And as said before, the java. vs. jdk.
> namespace question is bigger than this JEP and will not be addressed in this work.
Right, and the effort to do that should not be under estimated as it
would be very difficult to agreement on the scope. Also just to mention
that the original proposal for the web services stack in Java SE 6 (web
services callbacks were the the original motive for the http server API)
did have the http server API in the javax.* name space. JSR 270 (the
umbrella JSR for Java SE 6) had some concerns so it had to be introduced
as a JDK-specific API instead.

-Alan