Fate of {System|Runtime}.runFinalization (Re: Ad removing finalize eventually

Hans Boehm hboehm at google.com
Mon Aug 2 23:27:07 UTC 2021

Thanks for all your helpful responses!

I was talking about a somewhat different problem. Let's assume you're using
References to manage some type of limited resource S, e.g. a certain type
of graphics memory, or file descriptors, or whatever. Each S has a
PhantomReference that is enqueued when S is dropped, and the code
processing the queue will deallocate the corresponding hardware or native
resource. (This of course should be avoided when possible, but it isn't
always possible.)

When I try to allocate an S, and there aren't any more, I really want to
wait until the following have happened to either free one up or convince
myself I'm really out of resources:

1) The garbage collector has run at least once. I can do (a sufficient
approximation of) that with System.gc() or the like.
2) PhantomReferences with a dead Referent have been enqueued. It's not
clear to me that there is a portable way to do this. (System.gc() might
sometimes do that. If not, System.gc(); System.runFinalization() probably
does. But it's not 100% clear to me what the intent was.)
3) The entire associated ReferenceQueue has been processed once. If my
cleanup code is built directly on PhantomReferences, I can implement that.
If I use Cleaners, this at least seems to get inelegant.

I can't explicitly enqueue anything, since I still don't know what has been
dropped. I just know that I appear to be out of S's, possibly because my
machine has a zillion bytes of memory, and there's no real reason to
actually run the garbage collector to reclaim memory.

So my concern is really how to do (2) and (3) in the new world, i.e. wait
until unreachable objects found by the last GC have been cleaned. With
finalizers, System.runFinalization() effectively did the equivalent of that
(potentially modulo the deadlock questions).

Hans