Building jdk on OS/X

Michael Hall mik3hall at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 14:03:20 UTC 2021

> On Aug 15, 2021, at 7:50 AM, Rony G. Flatscher <Rony.Flatscher at wu.ac.at> wrote:
>
> On 14.08.2021 17:22, Michael Hall wrote:
>> Seeing the recent comments on build problems I was curious enough to try building on OS/X.
>> I followed the directions here…
>> https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk9u/raw-file/tip/common/doc/building.html <https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk9u/raw-file/tip/common/doc/building.html><https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk9u/raw-file/tip/common/doc/building.html <https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk9u/raw-file/tip/common/doc/building.html>>
>> I get errors like…
>>
>> === Output from failing command(s) repeated here ===
>> * For target buildtools_buildtools_hotspot_tools_classes__the.BUILD_TOOLS_HOTSPOT_batch:
>> warning: [path] bad path element "/Library/Frameworks/BSF4ooRexx.framework/Classes/bsf4ooRexx-v641-20190830-bin.jar": no such file or directory
>> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program/classes/ridl.jar": no such file or directory
>> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program/classes/jurt.jar": no such file or directory
>> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program/classes/juh.jar": no such file or directory
>> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program/classes/unoil.jar": no such file or directory
>> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program": no such file or directory
>> warning: [path] bad path element "/Library/Frameworks/BSF4ooRexx.framework/Classes/bsf4ooRexx-v641-20191126-bin.jar": no such file or directory
>> error: warnings found and -Werror specified
>> 1 error
>> 7 warnings
>>

> If the errors/warnings occurred while BSF4ooRexx and OpenOffice were available, I would not know why
> that would be.

In searching for related I think I did find one StackOverflow that suggested something like this could occur if jar file manifests contained class path information that was invalid. I didn’t follow up in checking on this. But yes it was strange getting not found errors when they were there.

> After you removed them I would assume that CLASSPATH gets still set because of /etc/profile
> containing its definitions pointing at the BSF4ooRexx and OpenOffice/LibreOffice jar files. Just
> delete them manually (these statements usually appear at the end and carry a needle comment to ease
> spotting them and using "grep -v" to remove them; newer versions for MacOS wil also add the same
> CLASSPATH statements to ~/.zshenv (as newer versions of MacOS default to zsh).

export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/Library/Frameworks/BSF4ooRexx.framework/Classes/bsf4ooRexx-v641-20190830-bin.jar # BSF4ooRexxNeedle

Correct. I will remove them. I will check to see if these are older and no longer match the jar files actually present. That might explain the not founds even though the application and framework were there.

> ---rony
>
> P.S.: You will find newer versions of BSF4ooRexx at
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsf4oorexx/files/beta/20200928/ <https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsf4oorexx/files/beta/20200928/>>, currently the MacOS support gets
> extended to universal libraries, also the installation scripts get changed in the process. New
> install packages are imminent and will carry "20210815" or later in their name.

I didn’t do too much with Rexx. I had hoped to embed it into another application and if I remember correctly I had some difficulty with that. Mainframe Rexx helped pay my bills for a number of years and I would be happy to include some support. I will look at it again if I get a chance.

Thanks for the reply.