Information about possible JDB enhancements

Jakob Cornell jakob at jcornell.net
Fri Jun 18 19:31:13 UTC 2021

Hi all,

I'm hoping to become an OpenJDK contributor in order to make some enhancements to JDB, which is my go-to tool for Java debugging.  As an example, JDB currently ignores empty commands, and I hope to make a change so that entering an empty command results in the previous command being rerun (as users coming from GDB will expect).  I would also be interested in investigating implementation of conditional breakpoints, assuming JDI supports this (I'm not familiar with it).

I get the sense that these changes may not be priorities for the OpenJDK development community (or perhaps may not even be desired), and so I'm writing to try to get a sense of whether I'd be able to find someone willing to sponsor changes like these.  If the answer is no then I shouldn't bother to look into creating patches.  Can anybody speak to the feasability of this?  Also, is there a more targeted mailing list I should use?

Thanks,
Jakob