[External] : Re: Shell files in `/bin` can be made executable

Aleksei Ivanov alexey.ivanov at oracle.com
Wed Nov 24 13:31:14 UTC 2021

On 24/11/2021 13:08, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
> On 2021-11-23 16:43, Kevin Rushforth wrote:
>
>> 2. On Windows platforms it is very easy to have a file be
>> accidentally executable depending on how it is created, such that
>> (for example) new source code files end up having the execute bit set.
>
> I wonder what tooling produces such files, but sure, let's say that
> this is something we want to protect ourselves against. I propose that
> we modify jcheck so it disallows executable files, not over the board,
> but in the src directory. (Or instead of having a block-list, have an
> allow-list of directories where executables are allowed, typically
> "./bin" and the root (for the configure script.)

This happens for me all the time in Cygwin. When I create a new file in
the repo using Windows tools, like a new java source file in an IDE, the
file has execute bit set for everyone (user, group and other).
Basically, Cygwin sees all the files on the drive as having execute
permissions.

If a file is created with Cygwin tools, it doesn't have executable
permissions.

--
Regards,
Alexey