Alternative to fatJar - modular solution?

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Thu Oct 14 16:06:40 UTC 2021

On 10/14/21 8:29 AM, Glavo wrote:

>     In fact, I don't understand why people started packing JAR files
>     inside
>     JAR files. Maybe there were some esoteric reasons (related to
>     Class-Path: attribute in manifest files???).
>

>  Sometimes it's necessary to keep jars intact and distribute them as
> they are. In fact, a program I just developed today is not compatible
> with your solution: It uses
> cls.getProtectionDomain().getCodeSource().getLocation()
> find its place, create a zip file system and traverse some of its folders.

Since we are discussing about a solution for storing modules in a single
file, there's an API to list all the contents of a module --
java.lang.module.ModuleReader::list().

Here's an example:

    import java.lang.module.*;

    public class FindAllInModule {
             Module module = java.lang.Object.class.getModule();
             ModuleReference mref = module.getLayer().configuration()
                     .findModule(module.getName())
                     .orElseThrow(() -> new RuntimeException())
                     .reference();
             try (ModuleReader reader = mref.open()) {
                  reader.list().forEach(n -> System.out.println(n));
             }
         }
    }

There's no requirements that a module must be stored in a JAR file. In
fact, your program will not work if it was packaged into an image
produced by jlink. That's why we have the ModuleReader::list() API.

> We also have some strange use cases that require additional data to be
> appended before the jar content. Dismantling the jar will destroy the
> data.

Could you explain what the actual scenario is? Is it for patching the
contents of a module (similar to --patch-module)?

Thanks
- Ioi