New project: getting rid of IcedTea local patches

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Wed Apr 1 12:27:18 PDT 2009

2009/4/1 Kelly O'Hair <Kelly.Ohair at sun.com>:

> Andrew John Hughes wrote:

>>> Good, because to my knowledge, those form the majority :)
>>> However, my guess would also be that some require extensive reworking
>>> to be generally acceptable (e.g. providing the option to build using
>>> system libraries rather than forcing it).
>>> --
>>> Andrew :-)
>>>
>>> Free Java Software Engineer
>>> Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)
>>>
>>> Support Free Java!
>>> Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
>>> http://openjdk.java.net
>>>
>>> PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
>>> Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8
>>>

>> On the other hand, there is some low-hanging fruit.  Andrew Haley
>> reminded me of this patch earlier today:
>>
>> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6781583
>>
>> which went into OpenJDK7.  The patch itself should be trivial to
>> approve, given it has already been through the process once.  The main
>> issue is that it relies on OpenJDK6 being updated to hs14.  Is there
>> any news on this and of the public stable branch of this version?
>>

> I made sure there is a '6-open' version of this bug.
> Not sure what the state of hs14 in OpenJDK6 is, but if hs14 is
> 'done' we may need to apply this patch to OpenJDK6's hotspot,
> making it a hs14+ kind of.
> I'll pass this decision onto Joe. ;^)

Thanks.  To my knowledge, OpenJDK6 is still on hs11.  With IcedTea6
(which builds against OpenJDK6 b14), we do an rm -rf hotspot and
download the last hs14 changeset to use instead (fc6a5ae3fef5) from
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/hotspot/hotspot.  We then apply three
patches to the newly acquired b14 hotspot which achieve the same as
the one attached to that bug report (these were developed
independently, two of them sometime before that changeset).