Re-thinking JDK 7

Dr Andrew John Hughes ahughes at redhat.com
Wed Sep 8 10:10:15 PDT 2010

On 8 September 2010 17:49, Ismael Juma <mlists at juma.me.uk> wrote:
> Hey Mark,
>
> It's great to hear Oracle's current thinking.

Likewise.

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 5:21 PM,  <mark.reinhold at oracle.com> wrote:
>> Here at Oracle we're leaning heavily toward the lower-risk Plan B.
>
> I agree. It will be nice for the JVM ecosystem to have a production
> release of the JDK with invokedynamic, method handles, nio.2, parallel
> classloading and jsr166y in 2011.

Being generally in favour of a frequent release schedule over trying
to achieve perfection, I also agree.  As Ismael has already outlined,
there are already plenty of features in the OpenJDK 7 tree for people
to get their teeth into, and continuing on for two (or more) years
would just increase the temptation to add yet more stuff.

So will we see a jdk8 branch in the near future, allowing the jdk7 one
to stabilise?

> Best,
> Ismael

Thanks,
--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8