Should back-ports cc the mailing lists for the area? (was Re: [7u8] Request for approval: 7113017: Use POSIX compliant include file headers in sun/awt/medialib/mlib_types.h)

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue Aug 7 06:25:44 PDT 2012

On 07/08/2012 13:51, Edvard Wendelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I've been working on backports that I'm not the original author of, I have always asked the engineer if the fix is suitable to backport or not. Instead of having to CC the entire group I'd like to suggest the following alternative rule:
>
> If you are not the original author, make sure both of you are in agreement that the fix is suitable for backport before requesting for approval on the mailing list.
>
> I think the most common use case by far is that the same engineer takes the fix to 8 and 7u and in that case we shouldn't add more processes.

I don't want to waste any time on this but I think the concern is mostly
with cases where the original author doesn't have history in the
specific area where the change is. He/she gets a review from someone in
that area for jdk8 and then gets approval (!= code review) for the
change for jdk7u-dev as that's where they are mostly interested in. In
that case the original reviewers/experts don't always see it or only see
it after it's in jdk7u-dev. I think this is what Phil's original
complaint was about. I think Andrew and David's concerns are slightly
different and covered in the previous thread.

-Alan.